Naby Keita has been labeled a “huge disappointment” at Liverpool
During the summer of 2018, Jurgen Klopp’s team paid a whopping £52 million for the Guinea international [Echo].
Keita, on the other hand, has not been a huge success at Liverpool.
To be honest, most of his problems arise from the fact that he’s been injured and, with just six months left on his contract, could be nearing the end of his Liverpool career.
Having said that, GOAL claimed in midweek that Liverpool are still interested in the former Red Bull Leipzig midfielder and that keeping him long term isn’t out of the question, implying a new contract might be on the horizon.
Former Liverpool midfielder Didi Hamann, though, is astonished by the prospect of Keita signing a new deal, stating he flopped spectacularly on Merseyside.
“I’m quite astonished at individuals who talk about Naby Keita earning a new contract because he’s been a massive letdown since joining the club,” he told Stadium Astro.
To be honest, Hamann is dead on here.
Given that he has only played 23 minutes of Premier League football this season due to injury, extending his contract would be risky.
Yes, he’s a talented footballer with a lot of promise, but the Reds don’t want to be trapped with him for another five years
And keep in mind that the next five years could be just as injury-plagued as the previous five.
Liverpool must cut their losses and either sell him next month or release him in June.
Liverpool takeover price jumps on confirmed Overseas news
According to sources, the price of a Liverpool acquisition has risen as a result of verifiable overseas news
The win of UEFA and FIFA over the surviving Super League plotters at the European Court of Justice has raised trust among possible Liverpool investors and increased the club’s acquisition price, according to Football Insider.
The European Union’s highest legal authority has proposed that clubs that participate in breakaway competitions be sanctioned by UEFA and FIFA.
The judgement is not legally enforceable, but a comprehensive decision from the Luxembourg court is expected in the spring along the same lines.
It is believed that the deteriorating chances of clubs on the continent relaunching the Super League reinforce the Premier League’s status as the world’s most lucrative club competition.
That in turn means Liverpool’s broadcast and commercial income will remain high for years to come, thereby fortifying their value in the eyes of investors.
A legal source told Football Insider before of the recommendation that a favorable finding in favor of FIFA and UEFA would help Fenway Sports Group in their quest to gain investment in Liverpool.
FSG has already acknowledged that their position on the Super League has not altered since they and eight co-conspirators abandoned the initiative in April of last year.
The severity of supporters’ feelings of isolation is likely to dissuade Premier League clubs from joining a future breakaway tournament.
The announcement that the UK government would establish an independent football authority in 2023 is yet another barrier against Liverpool disrupting the status quo.
Last month, FSG announced their intention to seek external investment in the Merseysiders, albeit it is unclear if this will be in the form of a full acquisition or a half buyout.
A deal has been linked to consortiums from the United States, India, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar.
On November 29, a source told Football Insider that interested parties had been informed that the value of Premier League TV rights could fall by up to £750 million by the next auction.
In other developments, a pundit advises Liverpool to recruit a replacement for Luis Diaz in January, after a source reveals “two fresh signings lined up.”